The firm Roy J. Portenga, Attorney at Law is a direct descendent of the Muskegon/Holland firm Libner, VanLeuven, Kortering, Evans & Portenga. From day one, Roy has specialized in serving the injured and disabled. Roy has over 40 years of legal experience and focuses on social security disability and workers' compensation.
Specialties: Social Security Disability and Workers' Compensation
Roy J. Portenga
Roy J. Portenga was born and raised in Muskegon, Michigan.
- Associates Degree, Muskegon Community College, ’73; BA with HIgh Distinction, University of Michigan, ’75; Juris Doctor, Valparaiso University, ’81.
- Teacher, Michigan Department of Corrections, ’76-’78.
- Member, State Bar of Michigan and Muskegon County Bar Association; licensed in the State of Michigan, U.S. District Court for the Western and Eastern Districts of Michigan, U.S. Court of Appeals Sixth Circuit.
- Publications include The Need for a National Workers' Compensation Minimum Standards Act, Improving the Attorney/Voc. Rehab. Relationship, Letter to House Commerce Committee on Workers' Comp Reform reprinted in the Building Tradesman, etc.
- Legal Honors: inducted into the State Bar of Michigan Workers' Compensation Law Section Hall of Fame, 2020; has been listed in the area of Workers' Compensation in Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars; has been named a Leading Lawyer by the Leading Lawyers Network in the areas of Social Security and Workers' Compensation; Fellow, Michigan State Bar Foundation (limited to 5% of the State Bar of Michigan); past Secretary, Treasurer, Vice-President and President Muskegon County Bar Association; Muskegon Legal Secretaries' Association "Boss of the Year".
- Rated AV Preeminent by the rating organization Martindale Hubbell, the highest rating given in the areas of integrity and skill.
- Seminar / Convention Speaker: SEAK National Workers' Compensation and Occupational Medicine Seminar (Hyannis, MA); the Michigan State Convention of Delegates for the Retail, Wholesale and Department Store Union; the State Conference for the Michigan Self-Insurers Association; the State Convention of the Michigan Chiropractic Society; the State Convention of the Michigan Association of Legal Support Professionals; the National Business Institute; the Grand Rapids Bar Association; etc.
- Elected member of the Board of Trustees of Muskegon Community College for over 20 years (MCC commencement speaker, '92; MCC Alumni Assn. Board Member, '92-'97; President of the same, '94-'96; MCC President - Search Committee Member, '95; MCC Foundation Board Member, '97-'99; MCC Alumnus of the Year, '20); Governing Board Member (Past-President x 3), First Congregational Church, Muskegon; Board Member, Jefferson Towers Senior Housing Complex, Muskegon.